Dan's Experience Recovering from an ACL Injury
I'm pleased to say that after 12 years of #aclinjury, 6 operations across 3 countries and 1000's hours of physio, I'm back on my board and I couldn't be happier!
- 1st doctor told me it would heal after a month
- 2nd doctor called me an idiot when his surgery failed after 3 months
- 3rd doctor said I could fall down mount everest and my #ACL wouldnt break again
- 4th doctor said I wouldnt be able to play sports again and I'd be on a walking stick by the time I'm 40
- 5th doctor called a medical conference to discuss the issues and dicovered that 2nd doc didnt drill at the correct angle which caused more failures
- 6th doctor believed i could be active again but needed to be more cautious and it would require 2 more operations to fix it.
I've learnt a few things from this journey
• Don't always trust someone because they are the expert
• Listen to your body more
• Dont let your #goals be influenced by other peoples pessimism
• ACL injuries fu**ing suck
• Perhaps most importantly it reinforced my belief that your worst experiences can be reshaped into your greatest strengths.
Special thanks to Injury Rehab Coach Keith O'Malley-Farrel at @thephysicaltrainingcompany for his coaching to set me up physically and mentally, highly recommend if you're in need of specialist rehab programs